Masterbuilt 20070910 30 Inch Electric Smoker Review
If you’ve been thinking about trying out smoking but don’t know where to begin then an electric smoker may be the best choice for you. They tend to be the easiest for beginners to smoke on because there is so little you need to do. You set the temperature you want (using our handy temperature guide), choose the wood flavoring you like, put the food in and wait for it to smoke.
Electric smokers aren’t only very simple to use, but they are usually quite cheap. Smoking can be an expensive hobby and electric smokers are one of the cheapest ways to start you out. You’ll get great tasting food with very little effort and very little money spent.
The Masterbuild 20070910 30 Inch Electric Smoker is a perfect example of why electric smokers are becoming more and more popular. It easily made it onto our list of the best electric smokers for 2018.
The Masterbuilt Electric smoker line comes in various sizes and some have additional features, including glass doors and fancy control systems. We’re taking a look at the cheapest, basic 30 Inch model that would make a great beginner smoker. Many of the smokers feature very similar design and build quality but all of them produce almost identical results.
You can check the latest price on the whole range on Amazon.
- 1 Masterbuilt 20070910 30 Inch Electric Smoker Review
- 1.1 What’s Included with the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
- 1.2 Build Quality and Design
- 1.3 Ease of Use
- 1.4 What’s Good about the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
- 1.5 What’s Bad about the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
- 1.6 Overall Thoughts
- 1.7 Additional Resources
- 1.8 Masterbuilt 30 Inch Electric Smoker
- 1.9 Pros
- 1.10 Cons
- The smoker body
- Four chrome coated racks
- Removable drip pan
- Removable water pan
- Side wood chip loading system
Dimensions: 20.4” W x 33.3” H x 19.9” D (51.8cm W x 84.6cm H x 50.5cm D)
Shipping Weight: 45.1 lb (20.5 kg)
Build Quality and Design
The design of the Masterbuilt 30” Electric Smoker is a very simple and functional one. It looks like a small black fridge, so can fit in subtly with other appliances if you’re not looking for something too brash. The outer body is a powder-coated steel which is strong and sturdy. The quality of the fittings and construction are fine and are probably a bit better than we’d expect at this price range. There is an insulative layer that works fairly well at keeping in most of the smoke. You probably will see a bit of smoke leakage here and there but for the price that’s expected.
The inside is very spacious, with a total of 730 square inches of combined cooking space. This is a lot of cooking space for such a cheap smoker. You can quite easily fit large cuts of meat and even a whole turkey in this smoker because of the adjustable racks.
One of the big problems with a lot of smokers is that they require you to open the door to add extra fuel or wood chips for flavor. The Masterbuilt electric smokers feature a very simple but effective side loader. There is also a very simple and sturdy control system and a top damper that allows a fair bit of control. All of these features are generally well built and really increase the ease of use of the smoker.
If you’ve read around then you might have seen some horror stories with Masterbuilt smokers. The chances are that a lot of those problems were with older models and Masterbuilt have since fixed a lot of the problems. In our experience, we didn’t have anything close to any of these horror stories and it generally worked very well.
Ease of Use
Like most electric smokers, the Masterbuilt is incredibly easy to use. You simply put your meat in, load the wood, select your temperature and you’re ready to go. Setup and seasoning are relatively easy. Here’s a simple guide to seasoning your electric smoker from Masterbuilt themselves:
“First, make sure the water pan is in place with no water in it. Set smoker temperature to 275°F and allow the unit to run for three hours. During the last 45 minutes, add ½ cup of wood chips in the wood chip loader to complete the pre-seasoning process. Power off the smoker and allow it to cool completely. (Note: Never add more than ½ cup of wood chips at a time. Additional chips should not be added until any previously added wood chips have stopped generating smoke.)”
The digital controller works like a charm, there’s minimal buttons to make choosing your temperature as simple as possible. When your smoker is running, adding addition wood pellets is made very easy with the side loader mentioned before.
Cleaning is an important part of any cooking equipment and having a product that makes cleaning as easy and effective as possible is very important. Cleaning the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker series is very simple. You can remove all the grates, the water pan and drip pan to wash those. Just having a drip pan means that a lot of the mess is already cleaned up for you. These can easily be washed and replaced. Cleaning the inside is just as easy. Once everything is removed, simply get a bowl of hot water and apple cider vinegar (50/50 volumes) and give the inside a rub down with a cloth and the solution. Don’t use harsh chemicals, the above will work fine.
What’s Good about the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
- The best thing is how accessible it makes smoking. If you’ve literally come across smoking today and are looking to get into it, the Masterbuilt is easy and simple enough for you to cook really tasty foods with next to zero effort. In addition to this all the little features like the side loading wood chip tray will help you get the best quality food without the hassle.
- Produces excellent results. It might lack a smoke ring and that charcoal taste but if you’re new to smoking you won’t be able to notice a difference.
- It also has a good range of temperature. The lowest it can go is 100°F with a maximum of 275°F. This is well within the range of standard smoking temperatures.
- You can smoke a lot of food at once! Comparing this to some much more expensive pellet grills or kamados, this destroys them on cooking area.
- The price of the Masterbuilt Electric smokers are generally very reasonable. This is the standout among them and can usually be found for around $150. Check latest price on Amazon.
- If you live in an apartment complex (or anywhere) where you can’t have a charcoal smoker then an electric smoker is an ideal alternative.
What’s Bad about the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
- The digital thermostat isn’t very good. We did have some trouble with the calibration and general temperature controls. The build and design of this is fine but the accuracy isn’t. We’d highly recommend a digital meat thermometer for any time you’re smoking, not just with this.
- You won’t get that classic BBQ smoke ring. Or at least not like you would if you used a charcoal or pellet smoker. This isn’t a huge deal and if you’re going for quality of the food over ease of use then we’d recommend a charcoal smoker. If you’re looking for both then definitely look into picking up a pellet smoker.
We were rather surprised at how well the Masterbuilt 30” electric smoker handled a lot food. It produced perfectly cooked ribs and a pork butt with ease. The temperature controls were a little off but that didn’t affect how well it cooked the meat.
Overall, the Masterbuilt 30” Electric Smoker is one of the best electric smokers you can buy if you’re new to smoking and want a cost efficient way of producing some great tasting food. It isn’t perfect but for the price you’re not going to get any better.
Accessories – There’s a huge range of accessories for Masterbuilt electric smokers available. Here’s a few of our favorites:
- Masterbuilt Cold Smoking Kit – This cold smoking kit can turn your electric smoker into a brilliant cold smoker, perfect for cheese or fish.
- Smoker Cover – We always highly recommend picking up a cover to go with your new smoker. It keeps it safe from the weather, or any dust or dirt that might damage it.
- Here’s a selection of other accessories that are available.
- If you’re looking for more information check out our How to use an Electric Smoker – In 6 Easy Steps guide.
Masterbuilt Electric smoker recipes – Masterbuilt have a quite a range of simple recipes made specifically for their electric smokers. There’s the typical BBQ favorites all the way to sides and desserts that are perfect for your new electric smoker.
Here’s a great video going over some tips and tricks for your new electric smoker:
If there’s anything you think we missed or would like to ask then let us know in the comments below.